Each site has a full-time nurse who serves the health needs of students in our schools. The health services team at USD 231 provides emergency care for all students who become ill or injured during school hours. Parents are are encouraged to speak with your child’s school nurse regarding any specialized care that would be required for your son or daughter while at school; i.e., allergies, asthma, seizures, and medications. Additionally, there are forms that must be filled out and signed by a physician, along with parental consent. These forms are available in each school’s main office or on the USD 231 school district website.
Health Entrance Requirements for School Attendance
Per Kansas Statutes and Regulations, the following are required in order to attend USD 231 schools:
- Immunizations: Proof of immunizations must be presented before a student may attend class.
- Physical Examination: one physical examination is required up to age 9 for entry into Kansas schools for the first time. Physical may be obtained within 12 months prior to school entry.
When to keep your child at home
A student will be sent home from school when exhibiting any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100 degrees or higher
- Red eyes with thick whitish drainage
- Undiagnosed rash
- Severe cold symptoms (cough and congestion)
Parents should not allow their child to return to school until the child has been free of fever, vomiting, or diarrhea for a full 24 hours without medication.
Important note regarding Influenza: If the flu is physician-diagnosed, students will be excluded from school for five (5) days following onset of illness or duration of illness if the case is immune-compromised.
District Medication Policy
When a student requires medication while at school, Gardner Edgerton USD 231's health care staff will work with the parent and physician to ensure the student receives the correct dosage of medication at the proper time(s). All medications administered by a Nurse, Building Health Assistant or trained/delegated staff member will meet the following requirements:
- A written order from the student’s physician is required for all prescription medications and for any medications not included in number four below. These orders must be renewed at the beginning of each school year. In addition, a new order is required when any changes are made to the original order. The order must include: student name, date, name of the medication, dosage given at school, time of administration and route of administration.
- All medications must be brought in by an adult in the original containers and/or packaging. Prescription medications must have a current pharmacy label.
- The receipt of all prescription medications will be counted and documented by a member of the Health Services Team while the parent/guardian is present. In addition, a Medication Acknowledgement form will be sent home with the parent/guardian to verify the product and amount received (duplicate records will be maintained in the School Health Office).
- An annual parental consent form is required for administration of the following non-prescription medications: acetaminophen, ibuprofen, antacids, cough drops, lotions, creams, ointments.
Please contact your child's school nurse for additional information on how medications (prescription and non-prescription) are dispensed during the regular school day. In addition, please know that USD 231 follows the Johnson County Health Department Exclusion Recommendations.
If the doctor orders restrictions, USD 231 requires a release from restrictions from the doctor. We can accept faxed orders if the parent calls the doctor and requests a fax.
Gardner Edgerton High School
Teresa Palmatier, BSN, and Judy McDowell, HA
Telephone: (913) 856-2618
Pioneer Ridge Middle School
Carey Lantis, RN
Telephone: (913) 856-3809
Trail Ridge Middle School
Casey Rhea, RN
Telephone: (913) 856-3565
Wheatridge Middle School
Kristi Dye, BSN
Telephone: (913) 856-2906
Edgerton Elementary School
Lisa Bender, LPN
Gardner Elementary School
Krysta Duft, BSN
Telephone: (913) 856-3345
Grand Star Elementary School
Melissa Smith, RN
Telephone: (913) 856-3754
Madison Elementary School
Amy Ault, BSN
Telephone: (913) 856-0450
Moonlight Elementary School
Christi Hamm, RN
Telephone: (913) 856-3132
Nike Elementary School
Carol Hicks, RN
Telephone: (913) 856-3048
Sunflower Elementary School
Brittany Zimmerman, RN
Telephone: (913) 856-3719
231 E. Madison Street (physical address)
P.O. Box 97 (mailing address)
Gardner, Kansas 66030
Phone: (913) 856-2007