New Students

Welcome to Gardner Edgerton USD 231!

In choosing Gardner or Edgerton to establish your home, you've made a great choice! Our communities provide a traditional home-town ambiance while remaining close to big city opportunities - the best of both worlds! The Gardner Edgerton School District is academically competitive with surrounding districts. We have top test scores, excellent technology resources, an award-winning teacher recruitment program and an extensive professional development support program for our educators. We are fortunate to be supported by a Board of Education committed to advancing the district and who continually place the needs of our students first. Our business community, parents and patrons generously provide donations, time and voter support for our facilities and programs. Everyone works together to foster an outstanding environment in which kids can grow and learn.

Does the district accept out-of-district enrollments?

No, you must reside within district boundaries to attend a Gardner Edgerton school. The only exception is staff members who live outside the district - their children may attend Gardner Edgerton schools.

How do I find out which school(s) my child will attend?

To determine which school(s) your child(ren) will attend, please use the School Locator feature. Just click on School Locator, type in your home address, and a list of schools and a map will be returned. If your address does not locate a school, please call the Community Relations Office at 856-2002 for assistance.

If your student is transferring from another district, you will need:

  1. State issued birth certificate or school records from previous Kansas school.
  2. Official record of required immunizations.

How do I find out more about Gardner Edgerton Schools?

Each school has its own website, which will provide you with an overview of that building. On our homepage, click on schools, then select your school building. If you are new to the area and would like a tour of your child's school, please call the school office. Back-to-School Night is scheduled at each school in early fall, providing district parents the opportunity to tour the school and meet teachers and staff.

How can I keep up with what's going on in the district?

Gardner Edgerton USD 231 publishes Horizon School District News four times during the school year to all Gardner and Edgerton households. In addition, the district also sends monthly e-newsletters via email to all parents of past and future events and activities in the schools.

On the district website, parents can access school calendars, read news items about upcoming events around the district, keep up on district construction projects, access test score data from the State of Kansas, access teacher web pages and much more. If you need assistance navigating the district website or finding information, please call the Community Relations Office at 856-2002.

In addition, most schools publish a weekly or monthly newsletter. Schools also offer numerous opportunities throughout the school year for parents to come into the building and participate in activities and events.


Health and Immunization Requirements for Gardner Edgerton Students

School PhysicalsKansas law requires a physical examination for all students through age nine (9) who are entering Kansas schools for the first time. In addition, all students in grades 7 through 12 who participate in interscholastic sports, drill team or cheerleading must have an annual physical. The required form may be picked up at the Gardner Edgerton High School, Pioneer Ridge Middle School or Wheatridge Middle School offices. The school physical form for entrance to school is a different form than the sport physical form. The school physical should not be done by a chiropractor.

All students must provide an up-to-date immunization record or an exemption form at the time of enrollment. Students cannot start school until the district has proper immunization documentation. Parents of preschoolers, Kindergartners and all students transferring to USD 231 from other districts must present an immunization record at enrollment.

Transfer Students

All new students and transfer students must provide proof of age in the form of a birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics from the state in which they were born. If you have any difficulty in meeting any of the above requirements, please notify your child’s school. We will be happy to assist you.

Starting Kindergarten

Entering preschool, kindergarten, or first grade requires:

1. State issued birth certificate (hospital copies not accepted).

2. Official record of all required immunizations.

3. Kansas law requires a physical upon entry into any Kansas school for the first time, up to age nine (9).

4. Proof of Residency.

Age requirements for kindergarten

1. Five years old on or before August 31.

Age requirements for first grade

1. Six years old on or before August 31 or completion of public kindergarten.

Kindergarten Round-Up

All District elementary schools host a Kindergarten Round-Up event in February each year. This event provides an early opportunity for students and parents to visit the schools, meet with educators and learn about the USD 231 Kindergarten programs. Please call your child's school to RSVP for this event.